“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Heide Museum of Modern Art

Lots of photographs today for you to take a look at....
Can you believe it that finally after a year I managed to visit the Heide Museum yesterday.
A few girls from my book club have been trying during last year to synchronize our diaries but inevitably we just didn't manage it. But that was all rectified yesterday when four of us took off for a beautiful girlie day...and yes, we did lunch too.
It was a perfect day in all sorts of ways not only weather wise.

I have read 'The Heart Garden' by Janine Burke, so was particularly interested in Heide I. http://www.iwi.nsw.gov.au/files/u1/heartgarden_html.pdf

Sunday Reed was a keen and imaginative gardener. Much of her inspiration came from nature.She raced out to the garden each morning and spent most of her day there, working like a Trojan. She had some help but mostly it was just her and John. She was a real "greenie", concerned about the environment and a vegetarian decades before it was fashionable. She used to say "I don't like eating my friends". When she started work on the Heide garden in 1935, her ideas were informed by a taste for formal French gardens but later she became
interested in the more lavish, romantic effects of English gardens. As you can see here....


I believe that the roses were planted by Sunday and because this isn't smellaputer you'll have to take my word for it....these roses knocked you out with their perfume.



It was such a beautiful setting.

We saw Mirka Mora's work which is being exhibited within the building. As you would expect we weren't allowed to take photo's but there is a lovely entrance with windows at the rear, which Mirka has painted a mural. By the time we entered the sun was lower and perfect to set off her work on the glass.

As you may have heard before I'm missing a garden but I certainly had my green fix at Heide

There was a board that discribed all the months of the year with the produce that was planted in this vegie garden. I heard from a friend that they pick the fresh produce and herbs from here to supply the Cafe Vue where we had lunch. The only downside to the whole day was that lunch took three and a half hours which we're not entirely sure why? Maybe it was the walk from the vegie plot to the kitchen that took the time?


I just loved the light here and can see why it might have been such an inspiration for all the artists who came to stay and work here.

Just a few pics to let you see around the place

This particular shed looks like it may have been here from the very beginning


I can recommend that you visit Heide. I know that I will be back to take the lunch box option ($15) and head off into the grounds for a picnic and just spend more time in this beautiful location.
http://www.heide.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...