As promised I finally got to baking today. I know I've been very remiss lately and believe me there have been grumblings from within the ranks. But that's all sorted now.....as we speak my son is yet again helping himself to a hefty portion.
I made a few adaptions along the way and added melted good quality chocolate over the top and drizzle down the sides.
It was so moist and beautiful with a dollop of Crème Fraiche
I have to tell you this was one of the easiest cakes I've ever made and the result was perfect.
Here's the recipe......
Flourless Chocolate Orange Cake
1 Large Orange (or 2 small)
1 heaped teaspoon of Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of soda
200g of Ground Almonds
250g of Caster Sugar
50g of good quality Cocoa
As a variation you could always add a few drops of Cointreau into the orange mixture!
1.Put the oranges in a saucepan with cold water and bring to the boil before reducing the heat.
2. Simmer for two hours or until soft.
3.Drain the water from the oranges and set aside to cool.
4. When cool cut the oranges in half and remove any large pips.
5. Grease a 20cm spring form baking tin and preheat the oven to 180 degree's C (350 F)
6. Pulp the oranges in a food processor before adding the eggs, baking powder, bicard of soda, almonds, sugar and cocoa.
7. Process all the ingredients together until you have a smooth batter but not too much. You should still have a batter flecked with oranges.
8. Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake for 1 hour.
9. Check the cake after 45 mins as you may need to cover it with foil to prevent burning before the cake is cooked all the way through.
10. Let the cake cool in the tin before removing.
11. Most important point......ENJOY! =D