“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Thursday 9 February 2012

Gourmet Mushroom Risotto...

Considering I thought this week was to be relatively free, I seem to have been remarkably busy.
Last night we needed a dinner that would tick all the boxes...quick, easy, tasty, minimal dishes, leaving a clean kitchen at its completion to enable a relaxing evening to commence as soon as possible.
I decided that mushroom risotto would tick all of the above.

 (Photo courtesy of www.bbc.co.uk/food)

I find it somewhat surprising that I actually used to be fearful of making a risotto. I kept my distance until I had a brave afternoon and thought I'd live on the edge and give it a go.
Thank goodness I did...I don't want to blow my own trumpet....oh well okay...it was delicious and a huge surprise. A gastronomical delight.
Enough trumpet blowing I think ~ let's move on to the recipe....

Mushroom Risotto ~ serves 3/4 or 2 main course

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Olive oil
25g Butter
1 Onion ~ chopped
200g Mushrooms (I used a mixture of Oyster, Shitaki, Portobello and Chestnut)
1½ cups Arborio Rice
¼ cup of White Wine (optional)
4 cups of hot vegetable or chicken stock
⅓ Parmesan Cheese
1 tablespoon of Parsley
25g Butter (optional)
Freshly cracked black pepper

Method:

1. Sauté onions in oil and butter until soft and coloured.
2. Add mushrooms
3. Stir in rice and cook for approx 5 minutes or until rice is transparent.
4. Stir in wine if using and allow to evaporate.
5. Stir in one ladle of stock at a time...stir well...cover with a lid and gently simmering.
6. Keep repeating this process until all the stock is incorporated. (this may take about 30 mins)
7. Once the rice is cooked but with just a little resistance then take off the heat. It will continue to cook so don't ever cook the rice.
8. Add Parmesan cheese (I don't like too much parmesan in mine but feel free to add as much as you like). The cheese gives the risotto a creamy texture. 
9. If using the additional butter add at this stage along with the parsley.
10. Finally add freshly cracked black pepper to taste. 


All that's needed now is to sit back and enjoy! VoilĂ 
Oh and the perfect eating implement of a splayd  of course makes less washing up ; D

8 comments:

  1. this may be quick and easy but it looks so elegant and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, was there a great film on the TV or what??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laurie for your lovely comnment. I never thought anything I cooked could possibly look elegant, but I did use my new serving plates that certainly add a little something.
    I hope you're warm and cosy. Have a fantastic Friday xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark, I think we watched Hugh and Oz touring round the UK visiting all the breweries.
    Although I enjoyed it, I think my hubby was rather insensitive...he seems to forget that I'm abstaining this month. Have to admit he didn't have a beer whilst watching it though.
    Are you having a frosticled Friday? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double yum yum! One of my favourites! Being a vegetarian I find risottos incredibly adaptable. A while ago I made a spinach and lemon one that turned out pretty darn good too - oh and btw you MUST always blow your own trumpet... esp when it's such a well tuned one!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that I posted one of your favourites...we are meatetarians in this house ~ Sorry :$ but I am trying to create at least one veggie dish a week now, which I hope will not be noticed by the boys.
    Thanks for your support and I'll try to remember and blow my penny whistle at least, if not my trumpet!
    Hope you're having a wonderful weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just what my daughter was looking for. Tell me about that rice why did you choose it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Country Mouse Studio, I'm sure your daughter will both enjoy making and eating the risotto!
    I chose Arborio rice because it is a variety of short-grained rice used primarily in the classical preparation of risotto. Originally cultivated in Italy but is easily available worldwide today.
    Because arborio rice undergoes less milling than ordinary long-grained rice, it retains more of its natural starch content. Cooking releases this starch, giving risotto its creamy consistency.
    Other types of rice absorb only twice their weight in water, whereas a pound of this particular rice can absorb up to 6 cups of liquid without becoming mushy, which is perfect when making risotto.
    This rice is also low in fat and high in carbohydrates. I don't think any other rice would be suitable.
    Another good point in reference to Arborio rice is that it is suitable in making rice pudding...another scrumptious satisfying dish :D

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...