“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Sprouting Spring

As I start to write this post tonight I've suddenly become aware that the grey sky that has been hanging around for days has suddenly lifted. 
Gazing out of the window I can see what I call a biblical sky. 
A sky that makes you stop and glaze in wonder. 
It wasn't expected...so it's all the more of a delight. 
It was very fleeting and therefore I didn't manage to capture it, but I'm sure there will be lots more now that the spring evenings are upon us. 

I've a few things that I wanted to share with you but they are rather fragmented...which means that this post is in great danger of being a little hotch-potch. 
At the moment my mind feels like it's in a tumble dryer tumbling around and around with so much to think about, but I don't seem to come to any conclusion or decision unfortunately. 
Do you ever feel like that? 

Anyway moving on...I didn't capture the sky tonight, but I did manage a photo earlier in the week of a misty/foggy, frosty morning. 
The photos don't really do the scene justice but it gives you the essence. 

I'm definitely feeling springy this week...and the garden has been calling. 
It's not hard to ignore the mayhem going on in the house with all the renovation work...so it's a pleasure to take a step outside. 
There a strange phenomenon happened because I started my daughter off planting seeds and enjoying nature when she was a toot, but since I've been away from a British garden for so long I've forgotten so much...but thankfully my little helper has grown into a woman with very green fingers. She even knows the Latin names for the plants for goodness sake...which I think is seriously impressive. I can hardly remember my own name so there's no hope for me. But now that my daughter has returned to the nest, she's my very knowledgeable reference. 
I'm sure things will come back to me...the when, how and why for...but for now she's my keen advisor. 
Here she is planting up seed trays. 
It's good to find a sheltered corner out of the breeze because it can still be quite chilly.
We've big plans but they'll probably not all happen this year.
The border on the right hand side (above) has had the honeysuckle cut back and there's lots of seeds planted. Heather, lupins, pansy, tulip, primula, lavender and pinks have also been added. So along with previous plants (that I'm not sure are still there and waiting to make an appearance later) it's time to let nature do its thing. 
Hopefully we'll have a full and colourful cottage garden border soon. 
I've also planted sweet peas too because I love to walk out into the garden to collect flowers to bring indoors. Sweet peas are fantastic to add colour and perfume. 
I know some people don't like the sweet pea fragrance and I have to admit it can be quite powerful, but if the arrangement is in a large area or hallway I think they are far better than any chemical air freshner any day.
(Sweet peas shoots)
I have to admit that I was surprised at the rate of growth with these seedlings. 
You can almost see them grow before your eyes...
(a little like the birdseed disappearing from the feeders at an unbelievable rate)  
Hopefully the sun will shine and the seedlings will climb up and race to the top of the trellis. I can almost smell them now.

Whilst I was busy planting I had another helper....Buzz....buzz...
A friendly visitor arrived on the heather...obviously pleased with the selection of new plants.
But we haven't only planted flowers...we've also planted tatties potatoes and they've already sprouted! Not the best photo because the sun wasn't playing.
And here's something I completely forgot about...I think it's a cherry blossom tree. 
Please correct me if I'm wrong...remember I'm re-learning all the time.
The bark and shape of this tree are beautiful. 
Maybe I'll show you it in all it's full glory once it flowers? 

Obviously with so many plants needed...we had to take a few trips to local garden centre and look what I found in the ladies toilets! 
I couldn't stop giggling. 
I thought they were just brilliant. 
There were all different designs...just perfect for a garden centre. 
Dobbies Garden Centre
We've also visited lots of reference books, catalogues and seed guides but there's still a long way to go...and then there's the veggie plot to excavate, build and plant up. That'll probably be next year now as times marching on. 
It's actually still quite light outside and it's nearly 8pm. Don't you just love summertime? 
Whoohoo...
And finally as they say...here's a stunner. 
It's one of my Mothers Day tulips.
I know it's a little late to show you but I thought it was quite exquisite and worth sharing. 
What do you think?
I've lots planned over the coming months...as we head into summer. 
The salmon will be making their way up stream, castles and their grounds/gardens will be opening, the beaches will be warming up and lots of Scottish National Trust sites to visit. There may even be a whiskey distillery visit too. Who knows?
I'd love for you to join me if you're free.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.
Hopefully we'll chat again soon 
https://secure.quebles.com/content/hotmail/emoticons/1511763.gif
 xoxo

18 comments:

  1. I was worried about you at the first of the blog post, but at the end you seem your happy self, your gardens are lovely and I think its great that the student becomes the teacher, its a joy to see our children grown, take care my far away friend sounds like we will have many adventures to come and i am always free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...sorry for the confusion Laurie, it's okay...I'm a happy bunny ;D
      How could I not be with spring sprouting all around. My cup runneth over.
      My student has become a teacher in many ways...not only on the gardening side of things.
      I've missed my visits to your nest but I plan to make up for it soon.
      It makes my heart smile as you refer to me as your far away friend...but with the internet we can sit across the table, have a cuppa and a good natter and forget all those miles in between ;D
      I'll let you know when we're off to explore.
      Firstly, I've got something lined up for tomorrows PPF.

      Enjoy your day and I'll be across to see you soon xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love your photos of growing plants, the sweet peas and cherry blossom tree are my favorite. I have always wished I can have my own garden where I can watch plants grow and develop new leaves. Growing plants always remind me of continuously aiming for growth and development as a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maria,
      Thank you for your lovely comment. It's great to share a little of my world.
      I plan to get out into the garden again today because there's lots to do and I hear that the sun will come out to play too ;D
      No doubt I'll be posting updates on the plants as we head through summer.
      Thanks for popping over and I hope you have a fantastic Friday and a great weekend.

      Delete
  3. It all looks so gorgeous. You have such gorgeous flowers there, it's too hot for most of those here. I threw a sweet potato in the old veggie patch and now we are enjoying tons of sweet potatoes, may have to try a potato like you have. I can't wait to see your travels around those fab castles. Those sinks are so cool and that tulip is just stunning. Have fun playing in the garden.
    Von.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vonny,
      I grew lots of veggies and tatties when we lived in Melbourne. Potatoes were one of my best crops. If the sweet potato grew for you then other potatoes will too ;D
      Here's a link if you want to see how they grew
      http://neesienatters.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/and-breathsigh.html
      It's a pity that we've finished renovating our bathrooms because I think I might have like a flower sink! Not sure hubby would have agreed though ;D
      The tulips are still looking stunning which is quite remarkable really.
      Have a wonderful Friday and enjoy your weekend whatever is planned...have fun.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Nessie, In the tumbler, oh yes, I know that feeling. Tho' as I read on you cheer me with thoughts of spring planting, lots of flowers and sunshine. :) You live in an amazing place with so much history, a beautiful countryside and warm loving peeps! I look forward to your strolls with McMuffy and plan to join in spirit, on your adventures. Lovely pics today. Our orange blossoms have just faded..oh they smelled so good. As I sat on my patio the breeze east carried their scent to me. (From 3/4 mile away!) Gorgeous last pic! Warm FL hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's another fabulous spring day here today and the forecast says it'll continue through the weekend. Lots of sun...whoohoo!
      It's lovely to know that you'll be strolling and visiting with me.
      Oh your orange blossom sounds wonderful...what a pity we don't have one of those scratch and sniff buttons on our blogs. Maybe that's worth looking into...so some clever IT bod out there!
      I'm looking for something to live on my new decking and I hadn't considered orange blossom....hmm...I wonder if it would grow. I'll check with my garden centre experts when I visit next ;D
      Warmish hugs backatcha Nan
      Have a wonderful weekend whatever you plan to do...enjoy!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh! p.s. Love the sunflower basin! What hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just ;D
      There were others but ladies where using them so I thought they might think I was a little dodgy if I took their photos.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. It looks like you are going to have a beautiful spring with all the garden growing. Nice to have a helper isn't it? Your place already looks so lovely, waiting to see everything growing.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Darla...that's just one little part of the garden but it's taking shape. The trouble is there's all the other areas to sort out. I think it might take a few seasons to get it all sorted as we would like.
      I'm so happy to have my helper because I'm going to need all the help I can get.
      Thanks to your lovely comment about my place...I'll be posting it's progress periodically no doubt ;D
      Have a fabulous Friday xoxo

      Delete
  7. Your garden is beautiful. I can hardly wait for spring to get here as well. I love the photo of the mist in the am. So what I think of when I think of the British Isles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a lot planned and there's masses of work to do, but we're getting there. It's all pretty exciting really because these plants are the ones from my youth. I just need to reacquaint myself with them all.
      It's a shame that I couldn't capture the deer that were in the field too. Unfortunately my lens and camera aren't that good to take in that light and distance.
      Something I need to address ;D
      Thanks for visiting and I hope you have a fantastic Friday!

      Delete
  8. Woo Hoo it's me, bet you'd forgotten who I was. I'm in the Qantas lounge (just to make you jelaous!!!) Wonderful post Neesie, I have loved catching up with your garden plans - I'm sure there will also be some wonderful hanging baskets in there somewhere? How wonderful to have Miss Green Fingers as your able assistant! Got to dash, we're about to take off!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoohoo...get you! ;D
      Are you ever grounded Wren...you're always flying somewhere. A little bird told me that your next destination is New York! I'm not jealous...of course I'm not but maybe a little envious.
      Yep they'll be hanging baskets on the go soon...but you know what it's like here and the saying..."never cast a cloud till May's out"!

      I hope your fledglings are all safe and sound.
      Take care my little feathered friend...I'll catch up with you soon.
      Enjoy NY and I'll look forward to hearing all about it ;D
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. The garden is looking fabulous...How wonderful to have your daughter helping you with her knowledge of plants too...clever girl...I adore the pic of the beautiful sky & I need one of those wash-hand-basins (lol) Have a great weekend ahead...Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that corner of the garden is progressing well, but there's a whole lot more to tackle May...but I'm just doing baby steps because I get over-awed if I look at the big picture.
      It is wonderful to have help and I've got another useful helper with muscles too...my son loves cutting the grass and generally doing the heavy garden chores (NOT) but if he wants feeding he'll do it! ;D
      Have a wonderful weekend too. I've just checked the forecast and its good so I'll probably be out there once again.
      Hugs back to you xoxo

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...