“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Thursday 23 February 2017

Catching up with long lost friends

It's wonderful to keep in touch with friends from across the sea, especially when you've traveled far and wide over the years. 
For instance, I'm regularly in touch with friends from the other side of the world, in Australia.
It's great to hear from them especially when we are suffering winter weather... seeing them basking in warm sunlight and sharing bright, sun-filled photo's and then of course we can reciprocate. 
Well we can try!
Catching up with blogs and photographs help to keep me in touch, but it can also bring memories flooding back.
I experienced one such fabulous reminder this week of the time that I volunteered to plant up trees for the local council on a warm Sunday morning.
The plants were tiny seedlings and we planted hundreds along the creek... bringing the native bush closer to the community.
If you'd like to see what the project was about then click on the link below.

Muffin and I would often walked past the area that we planted the native plants, and although I planted many trees on that Sunday morning, I took a special note of one particular eucalyptus tree... so that I could keep an eye on it's progress.
The photo below shows that little sapling, just before I left Melbourne... nearly four years ago now.
I was so proud of that little tree, but imagine my surprise when a friend sent a recent photo of it, towering up through the canopy! 
(I'm hoping that you can see it... it's right in the centre of the photograph).

My Melbourne baby... has grown up, quite literally!
My friend also included an update of both a lemon tree and a lime tree, that I'd bequeathed to her.
Once again, I'm thrilled that they are producing fantastic fruit, especially as the lime was only young and never actually produced fruit for me.
Something a little different today, but I hope you liked it.

Take care if Storm Doris is visiting you... it appears that we have escaped her here.
But I'm not complaining.
Thanks for your visit today and I hope to see you again soon


I'm linking up today with Wordless Wednesday

16 comments:

  1. Isn't it great that you stay in touch - especially when you can see the progress on trees and plants that you originally planted.

    It must be lovely to have your own lemon / lime trees.

    It has been extremely windy in my part of the UK with tree branches blown down, I took care when out today. To be fair the weather presenters did give us warning!

    Enjoy the rest of your week and have a good weekend too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful that we are still very much in touch after all this time and hopefully we'll continue to do so.
      I adored having my own trees, and I'm so happy to see them all doing so well.
      We got away quite lightly with the storm up here, although it was blowing a hoolie. My family in Cheshire had it much worse.
      Have a great week and thanks for visiting my place :D

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely post, almost like watching children as they grow seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Christine, I really enjoyed planting the trees that day, but never realised that it would bring such joy seeing it grow so big and strong. I'm also thrilled that the lemon and limes are doing so well too.

      Delete
  3. Wow Neesie... the eucalyptus is thriving! Keep looking, you never know there may be some travelling koalas up in those limbs ;D).

    Isn't it great to have a lemon tree - we freeze the excess juice, always have plenty. Nothing like using the rind when you know nothing has been sprayed on it too.

    Glad to hear you've escaped bad Doris!

    Cheers now :D) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just Sue, I'm thrilled to have an updated photo. There could well be some koala's visiting at some stage. I know we had possums in that area so you never know.
      I wish I could grow a lemon tree here, but I think that maybe asking a little too much. Maybe if I had a conservatory or greenhouse. I think I'll add that on my Christmas wish list.
      I loved having my own fresh lemons.

      Delete
  4. that's absolutely awesome, to see what your plants became. I'm glad a friend could inherit the fruit, now I bet you want some lemonade, lol. Oh and I thought this morning, was there supposed to be something that arrived by now?? If not then whew! I was worried something got lost in mail. Hugs my friend. Kisses to MuffyPup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to leave lots of things when leaving Australia, and plants were included in that list. The best option was to pass them out to friends. I didn't intend to keep an eye on them... but it was a lovely surprise to have update photographs. I even felt pride that my little plants were doing so well. I have to confess that I didn't think "Mmmmm... lemonade" It was more "gin or vodka thank you" I'm afraid I've no shame!
      Now I'm wondering what the remainder of your message meant because if you have posted something I'm afraid I have bad news because I've not received anything here. I'll email you as you're not a reply comment in case you don't see this note and think I'm completely without manners and just haven't mentioned anything.
      Hugs back to you and your Mum. Muffy obviously sends masses of wet kisses back too ^..^

      Delete
  5. didn't see a lot of storm Doris but a bit of wind, but thats nothing new where we are. nothing seems to have blown away lol

    and that is nice to see the plants thriving like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the same weather we had here Jennifer,
      I nearly took up wind surfing as I tried to hang out bed linen.
      It was a sunny day and I thought it might actually dry, but it was blowing a hoolie... and I was virtually lifted me off my feet. I nearly had a flight to Norway!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful surprise I had on reading this post.......I don't pass "your" tree as often these days, it being a little too far for dear old Zac, but your/my lemon and lime trees are being nurtured and I will be thinking of you when sipping my occasional ��evening vodka and lime/lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you had this nice surprise... it was like the day that I opened the photo you sent me. Fantastic to see all of the trees.
      I would love to have a lemon tree here, but I'm thinking that's not going to happen. Not here in the North East of Scotland!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful reminders. :) It's nice to see everything thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies if you are visiting from PPF NatashaMay. I posted the wrong link on the PPF website. I think I need to lie down!

      Delete
  8. Great to see how those trees have grown. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, apologies as I've posted the wrong post into the PPF link... Sheesh this week has been quite a week.
      Thanks for visiting.
      Hugs back to you ♥

      Delete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...