“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ....Oscar Wilde

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Thelma and Louise....visit to Edinburgh

In true 'Thelma and Louise' style my In-Laws (both Mother and Sister) have taken a road trip up to visit my daughter in Edinburgh, Scotland for the Bank Holiday weekend. This would normally necessitate in a 3 to 4 hour drive from their home in Cheshire. But they haven't driven there before.

After 6 hours we did begin to wonder if they had driven off at Lands End....in true 'Thelma and Louise' style, but after numerous phone calls and redirections they finally made it safely to my daughter - 8 hours travelling in total! The reason for the delay by the way was a truck had lost its load just at the junction they needed to exit. Typical.

Phewph....hopefully it'll all be worth it.
(Photo courtesy of http://www.booking.com/city/gb/edinburgh)

Just now its Festival time in Edinburgh from 21st August to 3rd September so you'll have to hurry if you want to catch the fun. Here's some information about the Festival

With my daughter able to show my blog to her visitors, I thought I'd send my Mother-in-Law a little surprise today. I know the journey here is just not possible for her now, so I thought I'd send a little reminder of her time spent living in Perth back in the late 1960's. Its the vociferous Magpies and if you have never heard them before it really is a unique sound to Australia.

Unlike the UK magpies these babies are huge, noisy and can be aggressive. They are a favourite of many Aussies and I've know so many people feed them by hand. Personally looking at those beaks makes me think it’s not for me. Apparently they love mince!

My Mother-in-law used to describe to us how she would wear a pan or colander on her head, whilst hanging out the washing, especially at nesting time. The Magpies would swoop and dive making the task hazardous without suitable head gear. I can just visualise when she hears they're song again, she might want to dive for cover. Magpies singing

Still nursing the sick here today, but at least the suns shining.... hopefully it is in Edinburgh too =D
Have fun together everyone XxX

2 comments:

  1. Brave family venturing onto the Motorways on Bank Holiday weekend! I wouldn't. There are always huge traffic jams! We had some tame crows in our town when I was a girl and they knew I was afraid of them. They would always chase me on my bicycle, swooping down on me. I hated them, but strangely I do like crows in general. Just not those ones! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bank Holiday traffic...never a good idea.
    Poor you being chased. The cyclists here adapt their safety helmets with tie wraps sticking up out of the top to stop the nesting birds swooping on their heads. A very strange sight but very effective.
    Hope your enjoying your long weekend. Have fun ;)

    ReplyDelete

I get so excited to see you here and love to read your thoughts and comments.
I always try to answer each one personally (I think it's only polite)
...♥...I truly appreciate your precious time here so thank you ...♥...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...